[Cytometry] Webinar: MINIMAL RESIDUAL DISEASE IN ACUTE MYELOID LEUKEMIA

Godfrey, William wgodfrey at beckman.com
Wed Feb 5 15:21:15 EST 2014

Upcoming webinar: MINIMAL RESIDUAL DISEASE IN ACUTE MYELOID LEUKEMIA

Date: Thursday March 20, 2014

Time:    USA 11:00 am EST
London 16:00 GMT
Munich  GMT+1
Shanghai GMT+8
Bangalore GMT+5.5

Presenter:
Tarja-Terttu Pelliniemi, MD, PhD
Fimlab-Laboratories Ltd, Tampere, Finland

Abstract
Minimal residual disease (MRD) refers to the proportion of leukemic cells present in morphologically defined complete remission. In acute lymphoblastic leukemia MRD is an independent prognostic marker and is currently included in therapeutic algorithms to guide post-induction treatments. During the past ten years several studies have shown that MRD is an important prognostic factor also in acute myeloid leukemia (AML) both in children, younger adults and elderly people. The preliminary results from Nordic Society of Pediatric Haematology and Oncology  (NOPHO) has confirmed the prognostic significance of MRD in AML. The current NOPHO-protocol (AML2013) includes MRD as early response criteria to identify the poor-risk patients, who might benefit from allogeneous stem cell transplantation.
MRD in AML can be based on molecular methods (PCR targeting fusion genes, mutations or expression levels of appropriate genes) or on multicolour flow cytometry. In flow cytometric MRD analysis leukemia-associated immunophenotypes (LAIPs) are indentified at diagnosis and applied to follow-up samples. Earlier, with four to six colour combinations, patient-specific LAIPs were designed on the basis of antigen profiles at diagnosis. Our strategy with eight to ten colour flow cytometry is to apply four standard combinations (for granulocytes, monocytes, stem cells and aberrant markers, respectively). This strategy not only allows the identification of LAIPs but also the analysis of granulocytic and monocytic differentiation patterns. The combinations also contain markers to identify e.g. mast cells, plasmacytoid dendritic cells, basophils and plasma cells, which may contaminate the so called blast area in CD45/side scatter plots. We in Tampere have three-year experience of ten-colour flow cytometric MRD analysis in adults with Navios instruments. In this webcast I will show examples of our patient data.

Register here
http://w.on24.com/r.htm?e=745395&s=1&k=AFD90CF0C03B4306C6B1805CD05DEE01

Cheers,
Bill

William Godfrey, Ph.D.
Manager, Research Application Development
Beckman Coulter, Inc.
11800 SW 147th Avenue
Miami, FL 33196
Tel:    (305) 380-4186
Cell:   (305) 979-6908
FAX:  (305)  380-3857

Please be advised that this email may contain confidential
information.  If you are not the intended recipient, please notify us
by email by replying to the sender and delete this message.  The
sender disclaims that the content of this email constitutes an offer
to enter into, or the acceptance of, any agreement; provided that the
foregoing does not invalidate the binding effect of any digital or
other electronic reproduction of a manual signature that is included
in any attachment.