[Cytometry] FW: flow cytometry question

Nebe-Von-Caron, G g.nebe-von-caron at alere.com
Tue Feb 4 10:14:30 EST 2014

There is no way you can obtain any real size information you can get from light scatter. Please read my open access article Nebe-von-Caron G (2009) Standardization in microbial cytometry.  Cytom Part A 75A: 86–89 were I demonstrate the discrepancy of light scatter of bugs and beads regarding size.
You might want to look down a microscope for independent assessment of aggregation. Peak/area measurement may be unfavourable with the small particles but plotting log side scatter vs log fluorescence would be a good indication of aggregation I if not already delivering discrete clusters from their natural fluorescence, then possibly a DNA stain might reveal the aggregation level in a better way.

Considering that your forward scatter is unlikely to detect the bacteria you should trigger on side scatter. However you also should be aware that rods or filamentous bacteria my result in double cluster due to preferential orientation in the beam. This effect however gets lost in higher aggregates.

You can make sonicated control samples (usually ~20 sec in a hot spot of a bath) to see if they break apart albeit this could affect autofluorescence but please do not confuse scatter with size. In particular if the bacteria use gas bubbles for buoyancy control or have inclusion bodies from things they accumulate or produce you can get a lot of strange signals.

regards

Gerhard