[Cytometry] Cyanobacteria Answer-Pam Shaw

Scott Tighe scott.tighe at uvm.edu
Mon Feb 3 10:31:09 EST 2014

Dear Pam

Analysis of Cyanobacteria at 633 should be fine however I do not know
the quantum efficiency that far in the red however seeing how
Phycocyanin is indeed the major component of cyanobacteria, one would
expect great emission.  We routinely excite with green 514 and catch the
Phycoerytherin molecule and that is great.  Here is a picture of that.
You could run some unstained yeast (sch. pombe) as a control for
reference. It is about the same size.

1) Gloeocapsa sp. No stain. Excite 514  observed with a long BP filter
(>550nm)

Spectrum of PCyn:

Absorbance Spectrum of Phyco-pigments in general:

Scott Tighe
Senior Core Laboratory Research Staff
Advanced Genome Technologies Core
NextGen Sequencing/Flow Cytometry
University of Vermont and Vermont Cancer Center
149 Beaumont ave
Health Science Research Facility 303/305
Burlington Vermont 05405
802-656-2482 (AGTC)