[Cytometry] Loss of FITC signal during sorting

Robert Wadley rbwadley at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 2 18:28:58 EST 2014

Dear Berislav,

One other point, there is a big difference between your Fortessa and your Astrios.

The Fortessa analyses your cells as they move through a cuvette (like perhaps 99.9% of all analysers on the market), directly attached to the cuvette is the lens for the collection optics, so you collect a much greater % of the fluorescence from the FITC molecules.

The Astrios is a stream-in-air sorter, the lasers intercept the cells in air and there is a comparatively large distance from there to the collection optics, so a smaller % of the fluorescence from the FITC molecules is collected.

FITC is a relatively dim molecule at the best of times, stream-in-air sorters try to make up the difference with more powerful lasers, but sometimes this is not enough.  In some cases dye choice will directly influence the sorter most useful to your experiment.  I got caught out very badly last year with researchers using PerCP-Cy5.5 on CD19 which looks beautiful on all my analysers, but is practically invisible on the Astrios, so I was restricted to immensely long sorts on my Aria IIu, or the researchers had to shift CD19 to APC (which they could have done had they continued).

I am discovering lots of interesting anomalies sorting on a multi-laser, multi-colour Astrios, but doing the prep (and if I can't stop them) the post sort analysis on a conventional analyser.  This is not a problem with the Astrios, it is an education process for the researchers.  It was different when I only had the MoFlo MLS for analysis & sorting, because you were forced to make the right dye choices right from the beginning.   Analysis on a cuvette machine, when prepping for a sort should be followed by an initial analysis on the sorter, before you make your final dye selections, so that the sort works the way the researcher intends.

Regards

Robert Wadley
Cytometry Manager
Mater Research