[Cytometry] leukemia classification

Erica L. Behling-Kelly eb58 at cornell.edu
Tue Apr 30 07:25:38 EDT 2013

Hello all,

I have a colleague who is working on expanding the panel of markers we use to classify leukemias in dogs and cats. We were wondering if those who perform flow phenotyping for human leukemias might provide us with some guidance as to how you define "positivity" for a specific marker. For example, we have consistently seen the expected strong shifts when we stain for CD5 on T-cell ALLs, but also occasionally dim staining on a small percentage of leukemic cells in AMLs (classified by concurrent cytochemical stains). We know there are reports of positivity for CD5 in some cases of AML in people, but can't really find how that positivity was defined, or how it compared to the positivity on T-cells. We would appreciate any input regarding how other labs establish their cut offs for reporting a population as positive. (i.e is there no overlap with the isotype control, is there a percentage of cells that must be strongly positive?).

Thank you in advance for your time,
Erica

Erica Behling-Kelly DVM, PhD, DACVP
Assistant Professor, Clinical Pathology