[Cytometry] monocyte-platelet aggregates

Matthew Linden matthew.linden at uwa.edu.au
Fri Apr 19 10:56:48 EDT 2013

Hi Rob and Adeeb,

EDTA is too potent a chelator of calcium, and will dissociate the GPIIb-IIIa receptor on platelets, making it not ideal for such studies of platelet function. Heparin binds to and activates platelets, causing P-selectin expression and an artificial increase in monocyte platelet aggregates (MPAs).

Citrate is better in this regard. However you must work quickly! Citrated blood left on the bench will begin to form monocyte-platelet aggregates within 15 minutes of collection, so samples should be fixed as soon as possible after collection. Leaving the blood too long is a common cause of elevated MPAs when testing.

The blood collection protocol itself might be responsible for your elevated MPAs. You mentioned tubes later in the draw sequence, which is good. However shear activates platelets, so even too high a gauge needle can alter your results - though 90% MPAs would certainly be unusual.

These protocols might be of help.

http://link.springer.com/protocol/10.1007/978-1-62703-339-8_18

https://www.thieme-connect.com/ejournals/abstract/10.1055/s-2004-835671

http://www.currentprotocols.com/WileyCDA/CPUnit/refId-cy0615.html

Regards,

Matt

Matthew Linden, PhD
Associate Professor and Head - Flow Cytometry Technique Group
The Centre for Microscopy, Characterisation and Analysis
(an Australian Microscopy and Microanalysis Research Facility)
University of Western Australia

Tel: +61-8-9346-4525
Fax: +61-8-6488-1087
Email: matthew.linden at uwa.edu.au
Web: http://www.cmca.uwa.edu.au and http://www.ammrf.org.au/
Mail: M510, 35 Stirling Highway
Office: Room 1.21, M Block, QEII Medical Centre
Nedlands, WA, 6009