[Cytometry] monocyte-platelet aggregates

Barnard, Marc Marc.Barnard at umassmed.edu
Fri Apr 19 11:13:40 EDT 2013

EDTA is the correct choice for avoiding platelet binding to monocytes (or any other leukocyte) because the P-selectin/PSGL-1 (CD62P/CD162) interaction required is calcium dependent. Most of the time people are trying to avoid it!

Citrate should be used, assure a clean blood draw in a 19g or larger needle. Mix the blood a as little as possible and label (or FACSLyse if Abs fix-stable) for MPAs ideally within 15 min of blood draw. It is very easy to cause >90% MPA, usually a difficult draw, blood taken off a badly cleared line, aged or vigorously mixed blood are all ways to get there.

Good luck,

Marc Barnard
Flow Cytometry Core Facility, Rm. S5-322
55 Lake Avenue North
Worcester, MA 01655