[Cytometry] monocyte-platelet aggregates

Adeeb Rahman adeeb_r at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 18 16:11:27 EDT 2013

Dear flow folk,

Do any of you have experience detecting monocyte-platelet aggregates by flow? I've been trying to quantify MPAs using antibodies against CD14 (clone HCD14) and CD42b (clone HIP1) to stain whole blood, followed by RBC lysis/fixation with BD FACSLyse.Using this protocol, I'm finding that a very high frequency of monocytes are CD42b+ (over 90%), which is much higher than the frequency reported in various publications (typically ~10%).

I've looked at blood collected in citrate tubes and sodium heparin tubes and have looked at tubes drawn later in the draw sequence (i.e. not the first tube drawn) but am still seeing the same thing. Does anyone have any thoughts about what may be causing this high frequency of MPAs?
Thanks,

Adeeb

Adeeb Rahman
Postdoctoral Fellow