[Cytometry] UV 20 or 60 mW

Schmitt, Steffen steffen.schmitt at Dkfz-Heidelberg.de
Tue Apr 16 11:29:20 EDT 2013

Dear colleagues,

I would like to hear or better read your opinion/ experience regarding 20 mW
UV-laser versus 60 mW UV-Laser.
We are working with an upgraded AriaIIu and our 20 mW UV laser died.
The question is, if we replace it with another 20 mW or if we spent the
money for an 60 mW UV-Laser.
Can you get a better resolution (e.g on Hoechst or DAPI cell cycle or Side
population) with more laser power?
I remember a threat some time ago, that more power with a 561 nm laser not
necessarily gain more resolution or better sensitivity.

Thanks for you input.

Steffen

PS: Our Ca-Influx assay is principal working, but we now have to figure out
the right experimental activation conditions. Thanks for your help regarding
this threat.

--

Dr. Steffen Schmitt
Head of the Flow Cytometry Unit

Phone:  +49-(0)6221-42-1261 (office)
        +49-(0)6221-42-3640
        +49-(0)6221-42-3643 (lab)
        +49-(0)6221-42-3740

Fax:    +49-(0)6221-42-3755
E-Mail: steffen.schmitt at dkfz-heidelberg.de
Web: www.dkfz.de/en/facs/index.html

Confidentiality Note: This message is intended only for the use of the named
recipient(s) and may obtain confidential and/ or privileged information. If
you are not the intented recipient, please contact the sender and delete the
message. Any unauthorized use of the information contained in this message
is prohibited.