[Cytometry] Formation of a new core

Maria Godinho Duarte Soares msoares at fm.ul.pt
Fri Apr 12 17:22:42 EDT 2013

Dear Lorelle,

A lot has been said already that you really must consider. A designated area for cell sorters, with adequate health and safety issues seen to is absolutely critical, ideally with external air supply for the wetcarts. The noise created by the built in compressors will get the sorter operator rundown by the end of the day. Do not forget liquid  waste disposal sites closeby and enough space for backup autoclaved sheath nearby. We have a microscope on the bench, but I don´t think its absolutely critical.
The Microscopy Unit at our institute is independent from us, but we cooperate quite well whenever required.
We have a separate area with mac workstations for data analysis that is essential, especially for those users who don´t use flow that much and don´t have the analysis software in their labs.
I would strongly advise that your office should be as close as possible to the instruments. If I had the space I would have my office inside the lab (physically separated by glass for example). It will allow you to keep an eye on users and also on your staff, being able to help out whenever required while being able to do your office work.
Allow enough space for liquid handling (sheath for the analyser, cleaning solutions,etc). This will be particularly important if you will be preparing your own solutions that will have to be available for users 24-7.
Make sure that the air inside the flow lab has enough turnover. The reason I am saying this is because in our lab we only have a small entry point and the air gets really saturated. Good air quality for a room with lots of equipment and users is a must.
Something that I haven´t seen mentioned is the installation of a UPS.

 If you expect to have external users to come over to use your instruments have some bench space available, if you can to allow them to stain just before using the instruments.

Lastly, plan ahead in terms of space. We flowers can quickly become popular and you may require additional instruments sooner than you think!
Good Luck!

Maria

Maria Soares
PhD