[Cytometry] Formation of a new core

David Coder davecoder at gmail.com
Fri Apr 12 12:51:40 EDT 2013

Hi Lorelle,

As others have mentioned, planning *before* having to build is essential.
Having modified and built (from the ground up) core facilities at the Fred
Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, there can be learning curve. (I say this
as probably the only cytometrist who also has a degree in architecture.)

There should be help from architects/engineers who deal with laboratory
space--but they will not have all the answers as cytometry and sorting have
special requirements.

There are a wide range of issues from utilities (don't overlook secure,
high speed internet), to room access, light levels, transfer hoods, sample
prep/storage/disposal, ergonomics of workstations and instrument placement,
 building location (heating, ventilation, air conditioning, vibrations from
outside),  biosafety (both operator protection and product protection),
ease of instrument access for service--to name some.

I'd be happy to talk further if you wish.

*David M. Coder, PhD*
Irvine, CA

Email: DaveCoder at gmail.com
Cell phone: 949 233 2641