[Cytometry] When to replace a flow cytometer

Barnard, Marc Marc.Barnard at umassmed.edu
Fri Apr 12 08:44:31 EDT 2013

Hi all, I agree the Calibur is incredibly reliable, we have number E0017 in our lab (the 17th one made?) installed 9/95 and it works great. It loves the Griot 488 diode laser that Cytek installed last year. The calibur has very few moving parts which is a big part of its success. However, the same cannot be said for most new cytometers and you do get to a point at which nuisance problems become a throughput issue. I think 10 years is a good number for an analyzer in a capital equipment plan, but chose your instrumentation carefully. Hopefully you will get more than 10 years out of them. I also agree that workstation upgrades every 3-4 years should be part of the plan.

-Marc

Marc Barnard
Flow Cytometry Core Facility, Rm. S5-322
55 Lake Avenue North
Worcester, MA 01655