[Cytometry] When to replace a flow cytometer

Cris Bare flowmail at verizon.net
Thu Apr 11 04:34:00 EDT 2013

Hi, Liz!

My opinion (and purely that):

A well maintained cytometer will give you valid data for a very long time. I've worked with (not in) clinical labs using twenty year old caliburs robustly every day. The cytometer itself will likely never be completely obsolete (although some parts may become excruciatingly difficult to replace). In fact, cytometers adhere to the adage of regular usage keeps them happy.

The computer is another story. I find the workstations get "tired" after three or four years. That should be kept fresh.

So I wouldn't replace the cytometer until repair was impossible, but I'd replace the computer regularly.

Cheers!

-cbb
http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=28573199