[Cytometry] When to replace a flow cytometer

E. Glaser ecglaser at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 9 17:40:53 EDT 2013

We are a 3-year-old clinical flow lab and the hospital is reviewing it's 5-year plan for capital equipment. I would like to know what criteria other facilities use to determine a replacement schedule for their flow cytometers. How often should a clinical lab replace its flow cytometer? Our work is low volume - about one sample per day - and there is one principle user and two alternate users. We have one FACSCantoII. It seems to me that replacing it in 10 years would be too soon, given its use, but at what point does its reliability turn iffy and when does it become outdated equipment? Would upgrading the computer at 7 years and the cytometer and computer at 15 be a reasonable plan?
Any thoughts appreciated.

Liz

Elizabeth Glaser, MT(ASCP)QCYM
Flow Cytometry/ Molecular Technologist