[Cytometry] Sorting cells into TriZol

Steven McClellan smcclellan at usouthal.edu
Fri Jan 6 11:42:31 EST 2012

Hi Simon,
I have always thought that the dilution effect with sheath makes it a pointless exercise...and I don't like to smell it.  We routinely get good mRNA from cells collected into FBS or Media (Hepes based and pH corrected!!!) and we use the 4'C chilled collection block.  Pellet cells as soon as they are collected and then put into Trizol or whatever first step reagent they are going to use.

Just my two cents.
Steve

Steve McClellan
Manager, Flow Cytometry and
Imaging Core Laboratories
Mitchell Cancer Institute
University of South Alabama

251-445-8415 (office)
251-460-6994 (fax)
smcclellan at usouthal.edu

1660 Springhill Avenue
Mobile, Alabama 36604

>>> SIMON MONARD <smonard at staffmail.ed.ac.uk> 1/6/2012 7:22 AM >>>
Dear flowers, happy new year.

I just wondered how many core labs will sort cells directly into
TriZol (which is mostly phenol). I know there are alternatives for RNA
extractions but I have some customers who insist its the best for
their experiments. I know some labs ban it, if you read the safety
data sheet its horrifying and in any other situation it would be
handled in a fume hood. You often get a whiff of it when you open
tubes, but I have never tried to measure the ppm so have no idea if
its above or below the safe level.
What do you do?

Simon Monard
FACS Facility Manager
MRC Centre for Regenerative Medicine
Edinburgh BioQuarter
5 Little France Drive
Edinburgh EH16 4UU

Tel. Office 0131 651 9522
Tel. Lab 0131 651 9533

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.