[Cytometry] Grand Challenges in Cytometry

Nebe-Von-Caron, G g.nebe-von-caron at alere.com
Tue May 24 09:20:21 EDT 2011

Miss being there myself and whilst I can't claim to be in every users heart I hope to be in the hearts of those I met and hopefully helped somewhere along the way.

Unfortunately the PIMA CD4 counter from Clondiag (now part of Alere) is not at ISAC but out in the field already. With about 2.7kg it is about half the weight but the big challenge to establish a field based CD4 measurement was not the instrument and the weight but the development of the "front end" that allows you to get away with just taking up the blood with a capillary into a cartridge containing all reagents and the embedded QC. As Howard used to say "it ain't necessarily flow" as it is based on imaging but that is not a disadvantage, quite the opposite.

Regarding Partec's instrument I can only congratulate them and wish them the power to succeed. Surely there will be even smaller and smarter CD4 counters coming out and only time will tell what will be most popularand robust system in the long run. As you said "Wolfgang does not seem to care what others say - he just did it." In my mind I hear him say that instead of giving those people fish you better teach them how to fish. And it is this idealism that I admire most in the flow community and a tribute to Partec, to stay within their means. You can only act this independent if you are not enslaved by the credit market and dealt as commodity between share sharks who only want more profit. But even outside their company sphere, to me cytometry feels like family business which is one of the things that characterises the atmosphere of the cytometry meetings, a great opportunity to meet "family and friends", to have fun together and to debate science. So I envy all of you who made it. May the ash stay away from you on your way back.

Now coming to the Grand Challenge in Cytometry I think the Purdue mailing list gives sufficient access to special knowledge and a pretty good idea from where you can get what information if you want it. I feel the method of just asking seems to work well enough and, considering the global spread, the mailing list format remains the best way of asynchronous information exchange and give you vastly more information than just asking the people that have done all the mistakes in their narrow field. If they are willing to share info everyone is free to do so and I prefer it to stay on this voluntary basis instead of being made a target on a website.

Some companies already provide on line workshops for users via the internet and because it has commercial advertising value some commercial websites will take this up as well, thus if we were to take advantage of that, we might put it up in a way for the benefit of ISAAC to generate training grants. Whilst I used skype on a couple of occasion and the acrobat conferencing facility for 1 to 1 interaction it shows you the limitation of not being able to help hands on and you just can't get the same out of sharing a pint of choffee via webcam as if sitting next to each other. So I have my pint here in the UK thinking of you over the pond.

Enjoy the time together and, I am certain, an exciting conference

Gerhard

Gerhard Nebe-von-Caron  | Research Scientist and Biomedical Engineer |  +44(0)7792 116609(Mobile) | +44(0)1234 835 474 (Landline)

Alere International | Derwent House | University Way | Cranfield Technology Park |  Cranfield | UK - MK43 0AZ

CONFIDENTIALITY;  This email and any attachments are confidential and may also be privileged. If received in error, please do not disclose the contents to anyone, but notify the sender by return email and delete this email (and any attachments) from your system.