[Cytometry] Grand Challenges in Cytometry

J. Paul Robinson jpr at flowcyt.cyto.purdue.edu
Sun May 22 09:09:17 EDT 2011

Howard Shapiro is actually at the Congress despite his claim that he is
staying in Boston!!! There is a piece of Howard Shapiro in every single
person who works in the field of cytometry......the only thing that is
missing is the backpack and the guitar....Howard, we really are missing
you -enjoy your 50th college reunion.

On the issue of grand challenges....I have to say that yesterday I was
totally and completely awed when I saw what Wolfgang Gohde proudly
showed me at the Partec booth - a hand held 5kg battery operated CD4
counter. I have desperately tried to do this now for several years as
many of you know and as Howard mentioned below, it's not been a high
priority for most companies.

My hat is off to Wolfgang. Frankly, this is in my opinion an incredible
feat. Many said it could not be done, many said it should not be done.
Fortunately Wolfgang does not seem to care what others say - he just did
it. There is still a huge challenge and making many different low cost
diagnostics is really important - but it may not be the most profitable
- who knows.

For the TWEETers - follow my tweets during the congress...I will try to
keep you up to date
@cytometryman

Paul Robinson
Tweet - @cytometryman

--
J. Paul Robinson
SVM Professor of Cytomics&  Professor of Biomedical Engineering

Purdue University Cytometry Laboratories
Bindley Bioscience Center
1203 West State Street
Discovery Park, Purdue University
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2057
Ph (765) 494 0757; Fax (765) 494 0517
email: jpr at flowcyt.cyto.purdue.edu
www.cyto.purdue.edu

Track Paul's recent Everest Summit - April-May 2009
http://www.cyto.purdue.edu/trackpaul/
and see the Manaslu&  Denali photos at
http://picasaweb.google.com/climbingabc

Support Cytometry for Life non-profit with  your donation
www.cytometryforlife.org