[Cytometry] Grand Challenges in Cytometry

Adam Treister a at treestar.com
Fri May 20 13:49:49 EDT 2011

Howard,

Since I'm wasting as much money on CYTO as anyone, I want to respond.  (Quickly though,  I have a plane to catch.)

I couldn't agree more that this social frivolity is unimportant compared to the real problems we collectively tackle.  I personally wrote a proposal to the Gates Grand Challenge to position a full time application scientist for the Southern Africa region.  We lost the African post doc to another opportunity, and couldn't really bend the request for a solution to latent HIV infections into a technology transfer grant.  So we didn't submit, but are retrenching, and trying again.    I will send you the proposal offline.

But FlowJo is free in Africa, and we support it extensively.    And the parties don't cost much (at least ours don't) compared to travel, hotel and exhibition costs, where we get totally exploited by union labor laws and remote corporations that don't give a damn for the local economy.

BTW, what do you think Harvard spends on reunions?

Adam Treister
Party at my house, Tuesday.