[Cytometry] LSRII sample pressure issue

prateek arora exquisiteprateek at rediffmail.com
Fri May 20 04:18:21 EDT 2011

Hi lin,

The back flow of sheath fluid in to your sample tube could be because
of following reasons-
- Either the FACS tube would be crack somewhere so that sample pressure
is leaking from the tube or the FACS tube using by you might be not
compatible thus unable to pressurize the tube.
- Wrong connection of waste tubing due to connecting the waste tubing
in to the air vent port rather than in to the waste vent port of the
waste reservoir. (the waste tube should be connected to the waste vent
port of the waste reservoir.)
- During shut downing of your instrument, use of excess of water that
can cause revert back flow of liquid in to the sample. Around 1ml of
water should be remaining in the the FACS tube not more than that.
- Either the Pressure pump is not functioning properly.
- If waste reservoir is not properly closed.

Try to look at this following major points of causing of back flow. I
hope it would work and help you to troubleshoot out with this problem.

Good luck.

Prateek Arora

On Fri, 20 May 2011 12:13:32 +0530  wrote
>Hi Lin,

The phenomenon that sheath is leaking back in your sample sounds

familiar, although in our case it happened directly, not after 30min.

We've had this issue a couple of times, when users placed tubes with to

much liquid. When pressure is put on the tube, this causes liquid to

creep up in the tubing for the sample pressure and wet the filter

inside. The strange thing here is that you would have the leaking back

immediately if it were wet filters, not after 30min. If you place a

tube with FACSflow with the table not under the tube, does the level

drop?

Maybe the tubing to the waste is somewhat clogged, so after 30min of

analysis the resistance to pump waste becomes to high? This would be my

best guess, hope it helps.

Good luck,

Floris

Floris van Alphen