[Cytometry] Calcium flux + surface markers

Elizabeth R. Simons esimons at bu.edu
Thu May 19 14:01:07 EDT 2011

If you have a uv 357nm laser, try using indo-1 instead of the fura
combination - it's a lot more sensitive, a single probe (less is
always better because the more cytoplasmic probes you add as esters
the more you acidify the cytoplasm), and has no overlap with your
other probes. Protocols using it and various surface markers
simultaneously are in several publications from my lab (try
Brunkhorst et al and Strohmeier et al, refs below).
Elizabeth R. Simons

B. Brunkhorst, K.G. Lazzari, G.Strohmeier, G.Weil and E.R. Simons.
Calcium Changes in Immune Complex-stimulated Human Neutrophils:
Simultaneous Measurement of Receptor Occupancy and
Activation Reveals Full Population Stimulus Binding but Subpopulation
Activation, J.Biol.Chem. 266:13035-13043, 1991.
B.A. Brunkhorst, G. Strohmeier, K. Lazzari, G. Weil, D. Melnick, H.B.
Fleit and E.R. Simons, Differential roles of FcgRII and FcgRIII in
Immune Complex Stimulation of Human Neutrophils,  J.Biol.Chem.
267:20659-20666, 1992
G.R. Strohmeier, B.A. Brunkhorst, K.F. Seetoo, G.J. Weil and E.R.
Simons. Neutrophil Functional Responses Depend Upon Immune Complex
Valency. J. Leuk.Biol. 58:403-414, 1995
G.R. Strohmeier, B.A. Brunkhorst, T. Meshulam, J. Bernardo, K.F.
Seetoo and E.R. Simons, The Role of FcgR subclasses. FcgRII and
FcgRIII, in the Activation of Human Neurophils by Low and
High             Valency Immune Complexes. J. Leuk. Biol. 58:415-422,
1995

Elizabeth R. Simons, Ph.D.
Professor of Biochemistry
Boston University School of Medicine