[Cytometry] .fcs standardization/flow accreditation

thomas delohery thomas.delohery at verizon.net
Tue May 17 21:38:10 EDT 2011

okay you guys,

In recent months I've been working with bronchoalveolar lavage (BAL) samples and the autofluorescence of the various immunocytes   in these samples can extend over 4-decades; i.e., unstained lymphocytes in the first decade and macrophages overlapping the 3rd and 4th decades along with some other interesting populations in between.  Once you add fluorescent markers to the mix it is virtually impossible to get all the populations on a 4+ log scale.  HLA/DR is particularly problematic, esp. when you are attempting to identify subpopulations of dendritic cells other APCs as well as activated T cells.  Running the samples twice after changing PMT voltages, redoing compensation, etc., is something I really want to avoid as it makes the analysis less incredibly difficult, not to mention the analysis.  I think I need more logs.
Also, how about a 1-log scale for 90' side scatter?  that would be very useful.

now be nice, TomD