[Cytometry] PI intensity moves during analysis

Elisabeth Freyer Elisabeth.Freyer at hgu.mrc.ac.uk
Tue May 10 09:35:10 EDT 2011

Hello everybody,

I am observing some strange shifts of the PI intensity when i do cell
cycle analysis. I'm not talking about the shifts between samples, my
whole histogram of the same sample actually moves up in intensity
within the first minute of running it on the machine. After a minute
it stays about the same.

I use an Aria2, measure PI in 488-685/35BP
It ONLY happens when I use protocols that require treating the cells
with Pepsin or Trypsin (e.g. Vindelov) prior to  PI staining. no
movement w/ EtOH fixation and staining in PI/RNAse solution only.
The samples are sitting on ice until they get loaded onto the machine.
I thought it might be temperature related, but also with a cooled
sample chamber it still moves.

To record I now usually wait for a minute for the PI intenisty to
stabilize and record then. It gets a bit difficult when I have samples
with very small cell numbers :(

I'd greatly appreciate if somebody could enlighten me where that comes
from and if there is anything I can do to stop this.

Cheers
Lizzie
:)

--