[Cytometry] .fcs standardization/flow accreditation

Mario Roederer roederer at drmr.com
Mon May 9 22:17:31 EDT 2011

[Please note the multiple disclosures at the end.  I'm probably the single most-conflicted person on the planet with regard to this particular email.... so take my response with a few grains of salt.]

With regard to accreditation:  I guess it all depends on what is being accredited.  Which parts of the accreditation are you specifically against?  You presume to know the syllabus and topics already, but to my knowledge these haven't yet been defined.

You rail against it in general, but I think everyone would agree that there are different ways to demonstrate facility with flow cytometry, and that those in charge of instruments could well show basic knowledge base in a way that has nothing to do with specific instrumentation.  For example, consider "understanding the basic theory and implementation of compensation."  Do you think that this would be unfair to demonstrate?  How about "understanding the roles and limitations of isotype controls"?  Or "demonstrating a basic knowledge of fluorochromes and reagents in order to assist with experimental design"?  Or, "How do you calculate the precision on a cell subset frequency to know significance?"  I'm pretty sure I can come up with a bunch of topics that are very general, of significant impact to flow cytometry, and are often misunderstood.

Note: there was no governance by survey.  Governance in ISAC is representational.  I.e., you voted for your ISAC councillors in order for them to make such decisions.  By voting for councillors, you entrust them to lead the society.  It is well established that you cannot govern a complex society by popular vote.  The survey was used primarily to gather feedback and guide the decisions of Council.  Anyone can run for Council, and I would strongly encourage this for those interested to do so!  And, of course, to provide Council with feedback -- which you can always do by private emails if you don't wish to do so on a public forum.

As Ryan noted, your criticism of the $PnE keyword is misplaced.  This keyword describes only the encoding of data in the FCS file; it need have no bearing on display transformations.  The latter was not encoded by FCS until the inclusion of the $PnD ("display") keyword a few years ago.  (Guess who championed that keyword.)  Even so, this keyword is only a suggestion, not a demand -- it is (rightfully) up to the software package to decide on the user interface for implementation.

I'm very concerned, though, about your comment: "...inaccuracy of the plots..."  There is no such thing.  Plots have no accuracy; they have no precision.  Only statistics (resulting from data aggregation and/or reduction) have accuracy and precision.  One should NEVER conclude anything quantitative from plots.  That's what statistics are for.  Plots should be used ONLY to visualize, guide, and provide some level of understanding of distributions.  But every plot type has its pitfalls; every plot can be mislead us in one way or another.  And certainly, this is doubly true for clinical use.  Please tell me you don't use graphical representations to make any sort of clinical decision.  That would be hard to certify.  Or accredit.

I do completely agree with you on the issue of dynamic range.  Every vendor is striving to "one-up" the next.  Claims of "7 logs of dynamic range" or whatever ... these are hogwash.  I don't care if the electronics IS capable of more than 5 logs of dynamic range (so please, vendor salespeople, do not email me claiming that your cytometer is better than others for this reason).  Biologically, 4-5 decades is the maximum useful range.  Most detectors have this as a useful range.  Just because your instrument goes to 11 doesn't make it better than one which goes to 10.  And... incidentally... let's remember that all the numbers on our axes, all the MFI values .... the magnitude of these numbers is entirely meaningless.  Doesn't matter.  No information.  (Please, don't email me telling me that your company's cytometer's values are relevant.  They're not.)

mr

Disclosures:

(1) I sit on ISAC council, and voted for the accreditation program.
(2) I was a co-author on the paper which first described automated algorithms for implementing display transformations (Biexponential / Logicle).
(3) I have financial ties to FlowJo, which was the first to implement the display transformations, and does so in an automated way (which I still believe in).
(4) I'm not a doctor, although I often play one in my mind.