[Cytometry] Pleural effusion sample prep for sorting

Ian Titley Ian.Titley at icr.ac.uk
Fri May 6 04:50:17 EDT 2011

Hi Kathy

We have looked at cells from ascites http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21216927 (Rizzo et al Molecular Cancer Therapeutics 10(2) 2011). I was not involved with preparation, I think they were spun and washed and then spun on a ficoll type gradient, washed again, it's all in the publication. From the sorting point of view there were no problems with blockages  - we used a 100um nozzle on a BD FACSVantage. I would have thought the pleural effusions similar but never tried them and I'm sure there is much variability between samples, maybe we got lucky.

>From a biosafety point of view I would have some concern over TB if the samples are fresh, but not sure if TB gets into pleural effusion?

Best wishes

Ian

Ian Titley PhD
Division of Molecular Pathology
Institute of Cancer Research
15 Cotswold Road
Belmont
Sutton
Surrey  SM2 5NG
UK

Tel +44 (0)20 8722 4255

>>> Kathy Heel <kathy.heel at uwa.edu.au> 05/05/2011 04:06 >>>
Hello All,

We've had a request to sort pleural effusions from mesothelioma patients and was wondering if anyone has any experience with these samples and suggestions for sample prep? I've been told the effusions can be very rich in protein and coagulating agents and can be very sticky.

Many thanks
Kathy

Kathy Heel PhD
Assistant Professor
Centre for Microscopy, Characterisation and Analysis (M510)
The University of Western Australia
35 Stirling Highway
Crawley WA 6009
Australia