[Cytometry] Teaching Flow Cytometry

Dettmering, Till T.Dettmering at gsi.de
Thu May 5 11:58:53 EDT 2011

Hello all,

I'm a PhD student for a year now and I'm working with flow cytometry for 2.5 years. Since there is no real dedicated FACS-'guru' in our group who I could have learned from, I had to teach practically everything about flow cytometry to myself, including maintenance of the device (a Partec PAS III). I find myself more often in the situation in which I have to teach new students who have never seen a flow cytometer how to work with it and how to interpret the data. Although it works out quite well, I'm very interested on your experiences on how to best teach new people flow cytometry. What do you start with? Do you have something like curriculum you follow when teaching it? What did you start with when you learned it? What should one pay special attention to when teaching?

I'm very interested in hearing your experiences!

Thanks a lot,
Till

--
GSI Helmholtzzentrum für Schwerionenforschung GmbH Planckstraße 1
64291 Darmstadt

Gesellschaft mit beschränkter Haftung
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Darmstadt
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Darmstadt, HRB 1528

Geschäftsführung: Professor Dr. Dr. h.c. Horst Stöcker, Dr. Hartmut Eickhoff

Vorsitzende des Aufsichtsrates: Dr. Beatrix Vierkorn-Rudolph
Stellvertreter: Ministerialdirigent Dr. Rolf Bernhardt