[Cytometry] Bacterial contamination in Moflo

Rachael Walker rvw24 at cam.ac.uk
Mon May 2 11:48:33 EDT 2011

Dear All

I have been having a recurring bacterial contamination within my MoFlo
for several months now.  It will be fine for weeks and then it appears
again.  I regularly leave the machine with ethanol in all the lines for
the weekend but this doesn't seem to be eliminating the problem.  I have
changed everything I can think of including all lines, the nozzle
assembly, sheath filter and autoclaved the sheath tank and the sample
probe.

When I first had this problem I discovered a biofilm looking like rust
at the top of the nozzle assembly, and when swabbed this showed positive
for bacteria.  I have changed nozzle assemblies 3 times since then for
various reasons and I have changed my nozzle as well (which is regularly
sonicated in detergent).  I put the last nozzle assembly in place about
6 weeks ago and already it is showing signs of this brown biofilm inside
it.  Does anyone else see this in their Moflo nozzle assemblies?  The
only things to have gone through that nozzle assembly are PBS (10x from
VWR, diluted and autoclaved in house), facs rinse, 70% ethanol and
cells.  I occasionally run bleach and water through the sample lines.

I managed to run a sorter for nearly 4 years without contaminations and
now I am plagued with problems.  Are there any dead spaces within the
machine that I don't know about apart from at the top of the nozzle
assembly?

I would be grateful for any advice.

Many thanks
Rachael