[Cytometry] Magnetic Bead Plate Washer

Bahjat, Keith KEITH.BAHJAT at providence.org
Wed Mar 16 19:29:58 EDT 2011

Ryan,

We were able to modify our ELX405 to wash Luminex magnetic beads using a couple of off-the-shelf products.

LifeSep 96F – this is a flat magnet that fits into the plate portion of the ELX405. http://www.dextermag.com/lifesep-96f-2501008-1.html

96-well Flexible PVC microplates – BD catalog #353912 - http://www.bdbiosciences.com/ptProduct.jsp?prodId=363772

You have to use the shorter plates or the height of the plate+magnet won't work with the ELX405.

You'll set up a new program that leaves 60 seconds after wash buffer is dispensed. Decrease the force of aspiration and don't let the probe go all the way to the bottom. This will leave the beads on the bottom while the buffer is aspirated. The force of dispensing is sufficient to dislodge them from the magnet for the next wash cycle.

Once we set everything up, it worked like a charm and cost <$500.

Good luck

Kb

--

Keith Bahjat, Ph.D.