[Cytometry] Marine Sample Bead Size Standards

Mark BROWN m.brown at ecu.edu.au
Mon Mar 15 01:16:24 EDT 2010

Hello,

I am about to run some marine samples over our new Beckman Gallios cytometer...

I have an email out to the person who gave us the protocol but I thought I would bounce this off the list as well...

The protocol we have uses two sizes of Polyscience YG beads (0.75 micron and 3 micron)  for spiking the seawater samples after standard fixation and SYBR Green Staining in order to obtain relative sizes and absolute counts for the beasties we are looking at....

The catalog numbers given in the protocol are for the regular Fluoresbrite YG microspheres for the 0.75 micron size and carboxylated microspheres for the 3 micron sized beads....

I don't see anything in the sample preparation that would activate the carboxylated beads or why you would want to activate them anyway...

I have the suspicion that the catalog numbers are just for the beads they had on hand and either would work but then I got to thinking that the negative charges on the carboxylated beads might aid in dispersion of the beads in sea water????

As we are starting from scratch any advice on the size and types of beads that would be most useful for analysing seawater samples would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in Advance
Mark brown in Perth, Western Australia

This e-mail is confidential. If you are not the intended recipient you must not disclose or use the information contained within. If you have received it in error please return it to the sender via reply e-mail and delete any record of it from your system. The information contained within is not the opinion of Edith Cowan University in general and the University accepts no liability for the accuracy of the information provided.

CRICOS IPC 00279B