[Cytometry] Core facility questions

Charles A Kuszynski ckuszyns at unmc.edu
Thu Feb 25 11:29:01 EST 2010

Michelle,

I think Grace has a good suggestion in attending the Core Managers Workshop at Cyto 2010.  This is a good forum to get the most feedback.  It's coming up soon,

As for your questions, we have found that it usually takes 10-30 minutes to change nozzles on the Aria I.  However, once you have done this, you should have written down or saved somewhere what the optimal settings for each nozzle and cell type.  In our hands, doing this greatly reduces the time required to change setup pressure and nozzle size.

As for the other issues, we like Grace charge for the actual time the instrument is being used by each investigator.  This includes setup time and data handling.  We too have more than one sorter.  The Aria II is much easier to change nozzles and pressures.  But again keeping track of the "Sweet Spots" in terms of nozzle size and frequency etc. will make these switches easier and faster.

The suggestion of scheduling similar experiments on the same instrument has merit, although we have found that this is often not possible as our sorts vary from day to day.  We sort bacteria, blood from numerous sources and cell lines and tumor homogenates all in the same day.  We have experienced little contamination or loss of cells due to carry over or sample contamination as long as you observe good lab practices such as disinfecting the area around the sorter and thoroughly flushing the instrument.  Remember (in theory) the only place you should have sample is in the sample pick-up and in the core stream as well as potentially on the sort plates and sort chamber.  Cells should not accumulate in the flow cell as the core stream is significantly smaller than the core or the nozzle.

See you at the core managers meeting in Seattle.

Charles A. Kuszynski, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Director, Cell Analysis Facility
University of Nebraska Medical Center
985816 Nebraska Medical Center
Omaha, NE 68198-5816
402 559-6299 office
402 559-6267 lab
402 980-7654 cell
402 559-4069 fax
ckuszyns at unmc.edu

"What a long strange trip it's been" Grateful Dead

***The University of Nebraska Medical Center E-mail Confidentiality Disclaimer***
The information in this email is privileged and confidential, intended only for the use of the addresse(s) above.  Any unauthorized use or disclosure of this information is prohibited.  If you have received this email by mistake, please delete it and immediately contact the sender.