[Cytometry] Conversion into FCS File and vice versa

Maciej Simm simm at treestar.com
Mon Feb 22 12:44:55 EST 2010

Hello Antonio,

to answer, let me first define the terms as I understand them.

Scale values refer to magnitude of your events along a parameter, as you would see them in a graph window.

Channel values refer to how the data is organized inside the file, and may or may not be the same number as you would derive from looking at a plot.

The discrepancy comes from the fact that some legacy data (FCS2, analog files) has values written out in 1024 "channels" but presented to the user on a 1-10000 "scale" (usually on a 256 pixel plot, but I digress.)

Channels are usually integers, while scale values are usually floats.

Most of the data being output by current cytometers I've looked at is in FCS3 format, and is written and shown in "channel" - therefore the distinction is no longer necessary. This issue is only relevant when examining legacy FCS2 data. There is, however, a kink - FlowJo reads in data files and bins them internally to a 12 bit resolution. Therefore the highest possible "channel" resolution we can currently report is on a 0-4096 scale ( as integers.) Using "scale" option would yield the same precision but present the data as floats.

So, which is better? they're the same - but if you prefer to work with Integers, go with Channel. ;)

Maciej Simm
FlowJo/Daily Dongle