[Cytometry] FW: Aria II or an Influx

Karen Yuen Karen.Yuen at flowcore.com.au
Tue Feb 16 19:56:28 EST 2010

Hi Cynthia and other flowers,

I haven't worked on an Aria, but would like to comment on a couple of
things that Cynthia posted as disadvantages of the Influx and to offer
her a couple of tips. We run a Diva and two Cytopeia Influxes in our
core facility.

"cannot sort 4-ways (we can only get 3-way sorting to work) despite
being billed as such" - we regularly sort four ways, yes its a little
difficult sometimes when side streams are misbehaving due to the cell
type sorted, but it can be done into 5ml or 1.5ml tubes. If side stream
separation is an issue, we take the collection tube holder and place it
directly on the "floor" of the collection chamber. That bit of extra
distance can be the difference between targeting properly or missing the
outer tubes.

"compensation is manual, so more than 4-colors makes sort set-ups
impractically long" - we regularly run 5 or 6 colour sorts. Manual
compensation can take a little while when the operator is new to
multicolour work, but you get used to it and operators can get quite
quick at it. Compensation is no problem for us on either our 3 or 5
laser Influx. Issues with compensation can also be solved with the
lasers you select, eg running PE and PE tandems off a 561nm laser to
reduce spill into blue-excited colours.

"camera position not adjustable, so can't view shorter break-offs
generated with larger nozzles - implication is that it only sorts small
cells (like hematopoietic cells) well" - we also regularly run 90um and
100um nozzles, in fact we use them more often than 70um nozzles! If the
camera range cannot show you your break off (which can happen to us)
it's usually a setup issue rather than a failing of the camera position
and we can solve this by taking off the nozzle and starting again. But
usually the camera position range is adequate.

Hope this helps!

Karen Yuen

FlowCore
Monash University