[Cytometry] Aria II or an Influx

David Ko dko at bccrc.ca
Sat Feb 13 02:27:05 EST 2010

Hi Pam,

We have both an Aria II and an Influx in our flow facility and we use them for different applications and experiments.  Both of them have excellent stability in terms of the mechanics and fluidics systems.  Each of them have their pros and cons over one another.

If you're just looking for another instrument to increase the capacity of your facility, then maybe an AriaII is the way to go because of its speed and for instrument consistency.  If those are not the concerns, having two different state-of-the-art instruments is beneficial as well.  Having both the AriaII and the Influx in our facility gives our researchers options depending on the nature of their experiments.  For example, our researchers would use the Influx for mCherry and RFP sort because we have a 561nm laser on the Influx.  On the other hand, our researchers would use the AriaII for Pacific Blue, CFP, and eFlour antibodies (by eBiosciences).  The following is a list of Pros and Cons for AriaII and Influx based on my experience with them in our facility.

Aria II Pros:
--high purity at high sorting speed (i.e. 15,000evt/s)
--extremely user friendly program (i.e. bio-exponential plot, post-acquisition compensation, hierarchial gating, etc)
--nozzle-change between different sizes is extremely easy
--daily laser alignment and drop delay determination are quick and easy
--excellent for 2-way, 4-way, and plate sorting (excellent side-stream separation)

Aria Cons:
--All mechanical parts are enclosed, containing many electronic boards.  Therefore, if anything goes wrong, we must call technical support
--laser swap or reconfiguration is tough after initial installation

Influx Pros:
--high purity
--simple electronics and parts are accessible.  Therefore, if anything goes wrong, sort operator can troubleshoot easy
--PMT blocks positions are interchangable.  In other words, you can move around PMTs from one channel to another very easily
--laser swap or reconfiguration is easy.  (We've swapped lasers on our own)
--daily laser alignment is simple

Influx Cons:
--nozzle-change is not as easy as for the Aria
--4-way sorting is harder due to side-stream separation limitation
--software is less intuitive and less functionality (i.e. no bio-exponential plot, no post-acquisition compensation, no hierarchial gating, etc)

Anyway, I hope my long and convoluted email helps.

Sincerely,

David Ko

Flow Cytometry Research Technician
BC Cancer Agency