[Cytometry] Aria II

Barsky, Lora lbarsky at usc.edu
Mon Feb 1 15:25:57 EST 2010

I'd like to comment on Question 1.  I've been using an Aria I for four months.

Regarding the embedded O-ring nozzles,  there are a few things to keep in mind.
A) Never user Contrad to clean this type of nozzle if there is a clog.  Reply on other things, from H20 to FACSClean (10% bleach) to FACSRinse (detergent) and sonication.
B)  Replace an embedded Nozzle  with a damaged one, when doing a Flow Cell Clean (with Contrad), which you might find yourself doing 1x month when CST fails to "find the beads".
C) You are able to use the nozzle O-rings from the Aria I, if and when your Aria II nozzle looses it's embedded o-ring.  Keep in mind, the o-rings will be subject to "wear and tear" similar to what you had with the Aria I.   If you're removing and resetting an Aria II nozzle, with each shutdown, you may blow through the supply quickly.
D) If you want to replace a damaged, embedded nozzle, talk with your instrument rep to see if discounts are available prior to placing your order.  My sales rep mentioned the prices will be coming down.
E)  I've been three months with an embedded nozzle and prefer it now, over the older nozzle type.  There is little to no "messing with" that I have to do to get a perfect stream (no satelites!!)

Good Luck,

Lora
On Feb 1, 2010, at 8:45 AM, Marcos E. García-Ojeda wrote:

> Hello everybody.
>
> We recently upgraded our old ARIA I to an ARIA II.  However, I have a
> couple of questions that I would like to pass by you. I will appreciate
> any information that you can provide me.
>
> 1) O-ring:  The new nozzle comes with a fixed o-ring on it.  If the
> o-ring gets damaged, the manual says that the seal can be temporarily
> changed. This implies that you have to buy new nozzles when the original
> ones get damaged?
>
> 2) Nozzle sterilization: The aseptic set up doesn't mention how to
> sterilize the nozzle for  aseptic sorts, just how to clean it to remove
> particles by sonication.  What can be done to sterilize the nozzle and
> not damage the fixed o-ring seal?
>
> 3) Pressure probe:  While the sheath tank can be autoclaved, the
> pressure probe cannot.  The manual says to put it in ethanol to
> sterilize it.  BD tech services recommended 10% bleach.  What do you
> recommend to clean the pressure probe before sterile sorts?
>
> 4) Water tank:  The ARIA II manual advices to add 3ml of bleach/L water
> during sterile sorts.  I was advised just to autoclave the water and
> recevoir.  I would like to hear what other users do with their water
> reservoir to avoid contamination.
>
> 5) Sheath filter.  The instruction for sterilizing the instrument
> indicate to put a new sheath filter every time you prepare for aseptic
> technique.  Are you changing the filter everytime?  Do you have a filter
> designated exclusively for sterile sorts?
>
> Any kind of advice will be very helpful.  Thanks for your help!
>
> Marcos
> --
>
> Marcos E. García-Ojeda, PhD
>
> Assistant Professor
>
> School of Natural Sciences
>
> University of California, Merced
>
> 5200 North Lake Road
>
> Merced, CA 95343 USA
>
> 209-228-6986 Office
>
> 209-337-8279 Cell
>
> 209-228-4053 Fax
>

> http://qsb.ucmerced.edu/faculty/mgarcia-ojeda/lab/

Lora W. Barsky
Manager, Flow Cytometry Core
Eli and Edythe Broad Center for Stem Cell and Regenerative Medicine
1450 Biggy St, HNRT4513
MC 9601-NRTLG591
Los Angeles, CA  90033
phone (323) 442-7942