[Cytometry] stain specific for bacteria vs marine populations

John Casey john.casey at bios.edu
Mon Feb 1 19:56:29 EST 2010

Hi Rochelle,
    Since you're at Caltech I'm just going to wing-it and say that you're looking at E coli from sewage outflows in coastal water?
    We often analyze phytoplankton and bacterioplankton from natural seawater and there are a dizzying number of approaches (see some of my favorites below:)- your choice will largely depend on your instrument and the complexity of the natural assemblage where your client sampled. I find that SYTO 13 (Invitrogen S7575) works best with 'blue water' bacteria (mostly alphaproteobacteria like SAR11 etc) and gives better discrimination and CV's than does SYBR G1, however you must take care to filter the stain through a 0.2um or better as there is a problem with free stain binding to detritus and pieces of cells which can overlap the so-called 'low nucleic acid bacteria' population. If you absolutely need to sort both phytoplankton and bacteria at the same time, you may want to go with a fluor that will not bleed into the autofluorescence bands of chlorophyll, PE, APC, etc such as Hoechst 33342 or DAPI, though you will want to do some calibrations between these and a cyanine based dye because there is a considerable difference in the binding properties. As far as discriminating E. coli from other bacteria, you may want to go the route of the CARD-FISH but remember this will mean you can't do FCM counts (need to resuspend the cells off a filter and/or pelletize). Good luck and feel free to give a shout!

T. GUINDULAIN, J. COMAS, AND J. VIVES-REGO (1997) Use of Nucleic Acid Dyes SYTO-13, TOTO-1, and YOYO-1 in the Study of Escherichia coli and Marine Prokaryotic Populations by Flow Cytometry. APPLIED AND ENVIRONMENTAL MICROBIOLOGY, 63(11);4608-4611

DOMINIQUE MARIE, FREDERIC PARTENSKY, STEPHAN JACQUET, AND DANIEL VAULOT (1997) Enumeration and Cell Cycle Analysis of Natural Populations of Marine Picoplankton by Flow Cytometry Using the Nucleic Acid Stain SYBR Green I. APPLIED AND ENVIRONMENTAL MICROBIOLOGY, 63(1);186-193

Raju Sekar, Bernhard M. Fuchs, Rudolf Amann, and Jakob Pernthaler (2004) Flow Sorting of Marine Bacterioplankton after Fluorescence In Situ Hybridization. APPLIED AND ENVIRONMENTAL MICROBIOLOGY, 70(1);6210–6219

Cheers,
John

--
John Casey