[Cytometry] Sad News - Loss of one of our own - Phil Marder

J. Paul Robinson jpr at flowcyt.cyto.purdue.edu
Mon Feb 1 10:08:30 EST 2010

I just received this message from Lisa Green and I wanted to pass it on
to the list.
Dear friends,

Phil passed away on Sat. Jan. 30 at home where he spent his last days in
the loving care of his wife and 3 children.  Those of us who visited him
during the past month were inspired by Phil's courage.  We were
comforted to see the devotion of wife Patty, daughter Sarah and her
husband Thomas, and sons David and Nathan in caring for Phil during his
time of greatest need.  Phil will be sadly missed by so many.  Services
will be in Indianapolis on Tuesday Feb. 2, details pending.

Phil Marder was involved in flow cytometry for many years and played a
major part in high throughput assays for drug discovery among many other
areas. Phil was a very active ISAC member having participated in
meetings from as far back as I can remember. It is a great loss to the
cytometry community and we are all very sad by this news. We send out
deep condolences to his family.

I have been writing the introduction to a book that Phil Marder and
Virginia Litwin have just completed entitled "Flow Cytometry in Drug
Discovery and Development." This book will be a significant reflection
of the major contribution to the field of flow cytometry that Phil
Marder has made.

Our community is very much the poorer for the loss of our dear friend
and colleague. I am personally deeply grieved by this loss but know that
Phils' contribution to the field will be appropriately memorialized with
his new book, published sadly after his passing.

With respect

J. Paul Robinson

------------------------------
J. Paul Robinson
SVM Professor of Cytomics & Professor of Biomedical Engineering
Director, Purdue University Cytometry Laboratories
Director, Howard Hughes Medical Institute Purdue Precollege Program
Past-President, International Society for Advancement of Cytometry

Purdue University Cytometry Laboratories
Bindley Bioscience Center
1203 West State Street
Discovery Park, Purdue University
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2057
Ph (765) 494 0757; Fax (765) 494 0517
email: jpr at flowcyt.cyto.purdue.edu
www.cyto.purdue.edu

Track Paul's Everest Summit - April-May 2009
http://www.cyto.purdue.edu/trackpaul/
and see the Manaslu & Denali photos at
http://picasaweb.google.com/climbingabc

Support Cytometry for Life non-profit with  your donation
www.cytometryforlife.org