[Cytometry] Anticoagulant for RBC

Robin Barclay robin.barclay at ed.ac.uk
Wed Apr 7 12:12:41 EDT 2010

You could try EDTA - a study we ran a few years ago showed it supported
least binding of other cells/particles to monocytes (comparing heparin,
citrate anticoagulants) when staining in a whole blood lyse/wash.  I
also used EDTA samples to determine prion protein expression on human
red cells by flow cytometry - not that I compared it to anything else,
but it did work for those very low expression levels on red cells
(subsequently confirmed by blotting).
Robin Barclay

SNBTS Cell Therapy R&D Group
Centre for Regenerative Medicine
University of Edinburgh

On 07/04/2010 16:08, Elizabeth R. Simons wrote:
> Definitely citrate - we have found that heparin alters cell
> functionality (platelets and phagocytes, at least - haven't checked
> RBC or lymphocyte functions).
> Elizabeth R. Simons
>
> On Apr 7, 2010, at 6:57 AM, Stewart, Judith wrote:
>

>> John,
>> I've found that citrate works the best for me, although heparin was
>> OK.  The main thing is that if you need Ca in your staining buffer,
>> be sure to wash it out or dilute it out immediately after staining,
>> leaving it in results in clotting.
>> Judith

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.