[Cytometry] Risk of Contamination After Sorting Bacteria

Gerald Gregori gerald.gregori at univmed.fr
Wed Nov 18 11:15:32 EST 2009

Hi Rachael,
in our core facility we are used to run bacteria on our Moflo, among
other bugs (both prokaryotes and eukaryotes).
There is no problem with cross contamination of samples as far as you
carefully clean the instrument.
Here is the procedure we use :
- After running a sample of bacteria we are used to backflush the
sheath  fluid  through the sample line (20 to 30 seconds). This cleans
most of the bugs in the line. It is incredibly  efficient.
- The major source for contamination on our Moflo, equipped with a
manual sample station, is at the level of the valve to sart or stop the
sample. Therefore we are used to run for few minutes a solution of
Bleach at 10% in distilled water.
- Then we run distilled water to rinse the bleach.
I eventually decided to avoid the solution of Ethanol 70% in distilled
water as Ethanol can be a source of Carbon for some bacteria.

Now, as far as E. coli is concerned, there are some strains which are
indeed pathogens, some others are not. You have to ask your user for that.
If the strain is not a pathogen one (Classe 1) then you can run your
sample (you just need to wear gloves, a coat, and to close the front
door of the Moflo to keep the cells confined...particularly if you sort
in case of aerosol formation). After the sorting or the analysis, you
have to wash the interior of the Moflo with a solution of Ehtanol 70%
(to clean), and then some bleach solution (10%) to sterilize, and
eventually with distilled water to remove the bleach.

If you have to work with pathogens, it is a different story. You need to
have a special equipment  (safety-hood, or class II lab) .

Good luck.
Gérald

PS : A trick to know when you run bacteria is that in most of the cases
the abundance is very high (10^6 to 10^9 bacteria/ml). Therefore you
must run the sample with a pressure differential very low (.1 to .2 at
the most). If you run too much sample at once, you send too much
bacteria and the likelihood to have doublets or aggregates becomes higher.