[Cytometry] CD34 pos. stem cell enumeration question

D. Robert Sutherland rob.sutherland at utoronto.ca
Fri Jul 31 16:58:58 EDT 2009

Shadya,
there have been a couple of studies that have attempted to monitor
the recovery of viable CD34+ cells post thaw and correlate it with
engraftment. We did one (Allan et al Number of viable CD34+ cells re-
infused predicts engraftment in autologous hematopoietic stem cell
transplantation. Bone Marrow Transplantation 29: 967-972, 2002), and
another recent one is from Lee S, Kim S, Kim H, Baek EJ, Jin H, Kim
J, Kim HO. Post-thaw viable CD34(+) cell count is a valuable
predictor of haematopoietic stem cell engraftment in autologous
peripheral blood stem cell transplantation. Vox Sang. 2008 Feb;94(2):
146-52. Epub 2007 Nov 19). There  may be one or two others.

Most labs do not routinely perform viable CD34+ cells enumeration on
post thawed samples because the pre freeze numbers correlate very
well with engraftment. Current thinking is that if you infuse 2 x
10e6 viable CD34+ cells pre-freeze/Kg patient weight you will engraft
in about 12-14 days. The minimum number required post-thaw is more
difficult to determine because of the non-standardised manner in
which post-thawed analysis is performed at different institutions.
Additionally, it takes a minimum of about 30 minutes from sample thaw
to stain, process and perform flow analysis during which time the
viability of the CD34+ cells may continue to deteriorate. The use of
lysing agents on post-thawed samples in some studies may also affect
the viability of the CD34+ cells reported. Meanwhile, the patient
will likely have been infused with the post thawed sample pretty well
immediately post thaw.
Bottom line is there is no good data on how closely the post thaw
analysis represents the number of viable CD34+ cells infused.
Currently there is no minimum level of post thaw viability that is
acceptable, but we would recommend alerting the physician to the
possibility of slow engraftment with respect to any sample containing
less than 50% viable CD34+ cells.
At the TGH Institution, we only perform the test on samples suspected
of having been 'mishandled' in some way, or subject to storage in
faulty freezers etc. We would recommend post thaw flow analysis for
cord blood samples (alongside CFU assays) identified for potential
for transplantation.

HTH
Rob Sutherland and Mike Keeney
Toronto General Hospital/London Health Sciences Centre