[Cytometry] CD34 pos. stem cell enumeration question

George, Shadya S sgeorge1 at covhlth.com
Fri Jul 24 13:17:22 EDT 2009

I am a medical technologist working at a small stem cell transplant lab.

I found your response on this subject on the internet and wanted to ask
you a further question.

We are currently switching to a using the Stem Kit single platform with
7-AAD to enumerate post thaw CD34 absolute counts for autologous
transplant.  We currently will use this as a quality indicator.  Do you
have any recommendations as to what an acceptable post freeze viability
or % Stem Cell recovery should be?  If the recovery is low (<40%),
should we consider recalculating our stem cell dose/Kg?  Are you aware
of any recommendations for a cut-off dose calculated post freeze?  For
example, would 1.0 x 106 be a new acceptable limit when measured post
freeze?

I appreciate any thoughts you have on the subject based on your
experience.

-Shadya George, MT(ASCP)

This E-mail contains PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION
intended only for the use of the Individual(s) named above.  If you
are not the intended recipient of this E-mail, or the employee or
agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you
are hereby notified that any dissemination or copying of this
E-mail is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this E-mail in
error, please immediately notify us at (865)374-4900 or notify us
by E-mail at hdesk at covhlth.com