[Cytometry] CS&T

Felix Heymann felix.reichel at ukb.uni-bonn.de
Tue Jul 21 02:08:17 EDT 2009

Hi Cris, dear all,
thank you for the addition. The problem with the instrument
configuration really is, that whatever has been changed by the last user
stays on the machine as far as I got it, am I correct here? So actually
for my regular flow-users I never talk about laser delay setting, area
scaling and window extensions, because on the analyzers they simply do
not need to touch it anyway normally (or otherwise if they do, they will
be beheaded, first by me and by the users with messed up experiments
afterwards....), but for the sorters of course these values may have to
be adjusted. One more thing about the CS&T that troubled me already for
some time I want to ask and see if some else out there has the same
issues. If I run the baseline and performance I get decent results in
terms of the rCVs and SDs, but for some channels the machine totally
over-(or under-)estimates the PMT voltage settings (I just did a run
yesterday and ended up e.g. with a PMT of 417V for my PerCPCy5.5 amp,
which is on our machine rediculously low). This is of course a problem
when it comes to real settings, so I normally readjust the values again
anyway and very rarely stick to the CS&Ts. Can anyone explain to me why
that is? I like the idea behind the CS&Ts, but for me it seems that
there are either some mishandlings or some problems which I am not fully
aware of.

Thanks for your advide

Felix

Felix Heymann
Scientific research fellow
Medical clinic III, University hospital Aachen
Germany