[Cytometry] PNH

Tony Bakke bakkea at ohsu.edu
Mon Jul 20 19:42:47 EDT 2009

Kathy,

We see about one patient positive for a PNH clone out of 10 with anemia,
cytopenia, or suspected PNH.  The size of the clones vary from 0.5 to
90%, with most between 0.5 and 10%.  You should be able to find some low
level positives.  These low levels are not considered diagnostic for
PNH, but the exact cutoff for PNH is not yet defined.  If you have
problems, contact me.

You were correct to stop using the RedQuant.  The attached paper shows
that labs testing for CD55 and CD59 on RBCs only have both high false
positive and false negative rates.

Tony Bakke, PhD, D(ABMLI)
Scientific Director, Special Immunology and Clinical Flow Cytometry
Department of Pathology
Oregon Health & Science University