[Cytometry] question about antibodies stability

Irina Grigorieva PhD irina.grigorieva at northside.com
Mon Jul 20 10:31:36 EDT 2009

Paul,

Your story sounds like a 'series of unfortunate events'. The combination
of high temperatures and 48-hour long shipping has a potential of
damaging your antibodies (although nobody know how many hours / or
minutes the antibodies were really exposed to 100 degrees). The position
of the company is also understandable: this is their standard shipping
method, which has been working fine with the quality of their products.
So they are not willing to pay unless you prove that the quality of
antibodies has been diminished. To me the easiest thing (if possible) is
to check the antibodies on some samples or standards, which are not as
valuable as your materials. Since I am working in the clinical lab, we
always validate all received antibodies. So far (within last 6 years) I
have not had quality problems resulted from the shipping. If you can
prove to yourself that ABs are still good, you are good to go. If, on
the other hand, you see quality problems, submit this to your vendors
and they would replace their products.

To avoid these troubles you may consider a) place your orders only on
Monday through Thursday to avoid longer than overnight shipping time and
b) pay little extra for +4 degrees shipment.

Best regards,  Irina

Irina Grigorieva, PhD
Director,
Flow Cytometry & Molecular Diagnostics Laboratory,
Northside Hospital, Atlanta, GA
voice (404)-851-6541
fax (404)-845-5353