[Cytometry] CS&T

Felix Heymann felix.reichel at ukb.uni-bonn.de
Fri Jul 17 19:10:52 EDT 2009

Hi Pam,
I just came back from an Aria II training from BD today (lucky me, the
guys did a real terrific job!) and of course we did a lot of baseline
configs and performance checks to calibrate the instruments. Our
trainers actually stressed that the bead lot no is quite important,
since there are quite some informations (I guess mostly about the actual
fluorescent properties of the specific lot)  hidden in the lot files
sitting on your instrument. If there's new bead lots out which have not
been listed on your instrument, you should actually also download the
actual information from the BD website. Since the machine uses the CS&T
to set also your laser delays  and area scalings, not only the PMTs,
working with the wrong lot no actually could affect the accurate digital
allignment of your instrument, so from my point of view it's quite
necessary to stick to the lot no if you run a performance check
belonging to a certain baseline. If you do regular performance checks,
you can also keep track about the development of your intrument
performance and can see early if e.g. a laser starts to get bad. Since
core facilities have a high throughput of external customers, regular
quality controls guarantee a high level of performance from your core
and keep customers happy......and in case things go wrong you can at
least prove that it was not due to a problem with the machines.

best

Felix