[Cytometry] Pan-Mass Challenge - Year 30 for the Ride, Year 2 for Me

Howard Shapiro hms at shapirolab.com
Sun Jul 19 14:54:12 EDT 2009

Ladies and Gentlemen-

I am pleased to report that I am medically cleared, ready, willing, and
able to ride in the 2009 Pan-Mass Challenge (PMC), the world's biggest
charity bike ride, again doing my bit to pay back some of the funds I
received from PMC's beneficiary, the Jimmy Fund, to help develop the
original Cytomutts when I worked at the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute
(DFCI) in the 1970s. My grandson Jake will accompany me on the 47 mile
ride on Sunday, August 2, making it less likely that the old geezer on
the recumbent will make wrong turns and ride an extra 6 miles.

Last year's ride raised a total of $35 million, and I was greatly
honored to be chosen as the speaker at the Check Presentation Ceremony,
when I mentioned that my docs at DFCI will have to keep me going until
I'm 90 if I want to pay back what I got from the Jimmy Fund. Ed Benz,
the President of DFCI, replied that I hadn't factored in indirect costs,
and would therefore have to ride until I was at least 98. If they'll
hold up their end, I'll do my best to hold up mine. Billy Starr, the
Founder of PMC, has set the ambitious fundraising goal of $30 million
for this year, and almost half of that has already been pledged. I know
the economy sucks, but I would greatly appreciate anything my flow
colleagues in the Boston area and the wider world could spare this year.

Any of you who are ready, willing, and able can go to:

http://www.pmc.org/mypmc/profiles.asp?Section=story&eGiftID=HS0081

and click on "Donate To My Ride".

Many, many thanks,

-Howard