[Cytometry] question about antibodies stability

Moss, Delynn M. (CDC/CCID/NCZVED) dmm3 at CDC.GOV
Sun Jul 19 12:00:40 EDT 2009

e-mail dmm3 at cdc.gov

-----Original Message-----
From: cytometry-bounces at lists.purdue.edu
[mailto:cytometry-bounces at lists.purdue.edu] On Behalf Of J. Paul
Robinson
Sent: Sunday, July 19, 2009 9:27 AM
To: Cytometry Mailing List; J Paul Robinson
Subject: [Cytometry] question about antibodies stability

Dear colleagues -

I recently had about $800 antibodies shipped for a series of
experiments. They were shipped on Saturday and the temperature over the
weekend was nearly 100 degrees...when they were delivered on Monday
morning they were warm. I wrote to the company and got the following
response. I have removed the name of the company. The cost of doing the
experiments is very high and will use valuable clinical materials. The
company told staff that they would replace the antibodies if they didn't
work. When we questioned them here is their response - I'd like to hear
of others think this is accurate or acceptable.

---------company response to my email----------------- "We understand
your frustration. I would like to reassure you that we don't ship any
orders out on Fridays. Our standard method of shipping is to ship
Saturday evening to reduce the amount of time spent in transit.
Also, we have successfully shipped Saturday for Monday delivery for the
past three years, which is why we guarantee that our products will be
stable when they arrive.

Please read below for more information {website removed]:

All [company removed] products are thawed to room temperature before
shipping and all are shipped out at room temperature every day of the
week.

Please note that the majority of antibodies are stable at room
temperature (RT) for long periods of time. Experiments conducted at
[company removed] show that, for antibodies left at RT, activity remains
constant for 2 months before showing any decline. However, as a
precautionary measure and to extend the shelf life of the antibodies, we
ship our antibodies in refrigerated packaging which has been shown to
provide a stable environment for antibodies in transit."
-------------------------

So do I risk my valuable samples to antibodies that arrive under these
conditions? I am really not sure - perhaps my concerns are not
warranted??

regards

Paul Robinson
Purdue

--
------------------------------
J. Paul Robinson

Purdue University Cytometry Laboratories Bindley Bioscience Center
1203 West State Street
Discovery Park, Purdue University
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2057
Ph (765) 494 0757; Fax (765) 494 0517
email: jpr at flowcyt.cyto.purdue.edu
www.cyto.purdue.edu

Track Paul's climbs in the Himalayas - Everest - April-May 2009
http://www.cyto.purdue.edu/trackpaul/
and see the Manaslu photos at
http://picasaweb.google.com/climbingabc

Support Cytometry for Life non-profit with  your donation
Cytometry mailing list
Cytometry at lists.purdue.edu