[Cytometry] question about antibodies stability

J. Paul Robinson jpr at cyto.purdue.edu
Sun Jul 19 09:27:12 EDT 2009

Dear colleagues -

I recently had about $800 antibodies shipped for a series of
experiments. They were shipped on Saturday and the temperature over the
weekend was nearly 100 degrees...when they were delivered on Monday
morning they were warm. I wrote to the company and got the following
response. I have removed the name of the company. The cost of doing the
experiments is very high and will use valuable clinical materials. The
company told staff that they would replace the antibodies if they didn't
work. When we questioned them here is their response - I'd like to hear
of others think this is accurate or acceptable.

---------company response to my email-----------------
"We understand your frustration. I would like to reassure you that we
don't ship any orders out on Fridays. Our standard method of shipping is
to ship Saturday evening to reduce the amount of time spent in transit.
Also, we have successfully shipped Saturday for Monday delivery for the
past three years, which is why we guarantee that our products will be
stable when they arrive.

Please read below for more information {website removed]:

All [company removed] products are thawed to room temperature before
shipping and all are shipped out at room temperature every day of the week.

Please note that the majority of antibodies are stable at room
temperature (RT) for long periods of time. Experiments conducted at
[company removed] show that, for antibodies left at RT, activity remains
constant for 2 months before showing any decline. However, as a
precautionary measure and to extend the shelf life of the antibodies, we
ship our antibodies in refrigerated packaging which has been shown to
provide a stable environment for antibodies in transit."
-------------------------

So do I risk my valuable samples to antibodies that arrive under these
conditions? I am really not sure - perhaps my concerns are not warranted??

regards

Paul Robinson
Purdue

--
------------------------------
J. Paul Robinson

Purdue University Cytometry Laboratories
Bindley Bioscience Center
1203 West State Street
Discovery Park, Purdue University
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2057
Ph (765) 494 0757; Fax (765) 494 0517
email: jpr at flowcyt.cyto.purdue.edu
www.cyto.purdue.edu

Track Paul's climbs in the Himalayas - Everest - April-May 2009
http://www.cyto.purdue.edu/trackpaul/
and see the Manaslu photos at
http://picasaweb.google.com/climbingabc

Support Cytometry for Life non-profit with  your donation
www.cytometryforlife.org