[Cytometry] forward-side scatter differences

Howard Shapiro hms at shapirolab.com
Fri Jul 17 10:18:50 EDT 2009

Rudolf Braun wrote:
> FSC-SSC in the analysis of white blood cells, spleen cells or lymph node cells looks different if analyzed by instruments from different vendors.
>
> My question: how different can they be?
>
> Do all instruments distinguish granulocytes, monocytes, and lymphocytes from each other using linear settings for FSC and SSC?

All instruments I know of differentiate granulocytes, monocytes, and
lymphocytes using linear FSC/SSC settings. Side scatter measurements
don't vary much from instrument to instrument; forward scatter
measurements do because the geometries used in different systems differ
considerably. See Practical Flow Cytometry, 4th Edition (hereafter
PFC4)*, pp. 275-6 and Figure 7-1; FSC signals from various sizes of
polystyrene beads increase monitonically with size when measured on a
Beckman Coulter EPICS XL but not when measured on a BD FACSCalibur.

Also bear in mind that a "lymphocyte" gate as defined using FSC/SSC -
which is used to identify and count lymphocytes in some commercial
hematology counters - is likely to include some cells which, by the more
stringent criterion of high CD45 expression, are not lymphocytes (see
PFC4, pp. 34-5 and Fig. 1-17). That's one reason current CDC and NIAID
Guidelines for CD4 T cell counting advocate CD45/SSC gating.

-Howard

*Now that Beckman Coulter has been magnanimous enough to put a free,
downloadable, printable, searchable .pdf file of PFC4 online at
http://coulterflow.com/bciflow/research01.php - from which I even get
some royalties - I see little reason why anybody doing flow cytometry
shouldn't have a copy accessible. I'm still trying to get BC and Wiley
to agree to my providing a much nicer copy with more color illustrations
and some corrections.