[Cytometry] Flow karyotyping

Jeff Barry JBarry at picr.man.ac.uk
Thu Jul 16 03:55:14 EDT 2009

Hello,

We have a researcher who would like to resolve and sort human
isochromosome 17q.  From the literature I found that a bivariate plot of
Hoechst against Chromomycin A3 seems to resolve chromosome 17 nicely but
does anyone know if the i(17q) will form a distinct separate population?

I'm also concerned that our present sorters' configurations may not be
ideally suited to this, especially regarding the choice of laser lines
and power. We have an Influx with 100mw UV and 50wm 407nm laser. I
understand that the laser line of choice for Chromomycin is 457nm but
has anyone tried with a 407nm line?

We also have a Vantage that has a UV laser (<100mw) and an Argon ion
laser that could in theory be tuned to 457nm (100wm).

Does anyone have an opinion whether these sorters could be used?

If anyone has done this before and is willing to share their experience
I would be very grateful.

Jeff Barry

Cancer Research UK

Paterson Institute

Manchester University

England
This email is confidential and intended solely for the use of the person(s) ('the intended recipient') to whom it was addressed. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Paterson Institute for Cancer Research or the University of Manchester. It may contain information that is privileged & confidential within the meaning of applicable law. Accordingly any dissemination, distribution, copying, or other use of this message, or any of its contents, by any person other than the intended recipient may constitute a breach of civil or criminal law and is strictly prohibited. If you are NOT the intended recipient please contact the sender and dispose of this e-mail as soon as possible.