[Cytometry] Distinguishing Surface vs. Cytoplasmic staining

Christopher Bare flowmail at verizon.net
Thu Jul 16 12:40:45 EDT 2009

My read of the original question was that Prashant was asking if it is
possible to stain for intracellular epitopes EXCLUSIVELY, that is, without
staining any surface presented molecules of the epitope in question.

As far as I know, it is not technically possible to ONLY stain
intracellularly. Staining for intracellular will always also stain any
surface instances.

-Cris Bare
Rockefeller University

<snip>
> > The reason I ask (this biologically unlikely question) is because it was
> > suggested somewhere that one way to exclude a false positive CD41 / CD61
> > on
> > blasts due to platelet adhesion would be to simply perform cytoplasmic
> > staining instead of surface.
<snip>