[Cytometry] Compensation with liver cells

SIMON MONARD smonard at staffmail.ed.ac.uk
Fri Jul 10 12:48:16 EDT 2009

No...?

If you are looking at larger cells, ESCs, Macs, hepatocytes etc you
will find that setting your voltages on the negative cells the beads
will be offscreen. Bump up the voltages enough to get the beads on
screen and you may find you have little dynamic range left to measure
fluorescence. You can find that your negative cells are two logs
higher than blank comp beads. If you have an older machine with 4 log
decades BD comp beads are useless if you work with such cells. The BD
beads have clearly been selected because they have a similar
background to lymphocytes. Larger beads have a higher background but
also capture more antibody so they can be a lot brighter than the
commercial beads. I'm not suggesting adding background fluorescence to
blank beads I'm suggesting selecting beads that better match your
cells and coupling them to anti-rat Ig or whatever. 6 micron
polycarbonate beads are a much better choice for larger cells.
In summary...Yes!

Simon

  Quoting Mario Roederer <roederer at drmr.com>:

> No... antibody capture beads are not designed with a particular cell
> subset in mind.  Any compensation bead will work for any cell type, as
> long as the positive beads are brighter (or at least as bright) as
> your stained cells.
>
> Adding background to your beads (or using beads with more background)
> will only decrease the precision (although not the accuracy) of your
> compensation.
>
> mr
>

> On Jul 10, 2009, at 5:24 AM, SIMON MONARD wrote:
>
>> You will likely find them unusable as the commercial ones are designed
>> for use with lymphocytes. If you are planning on doing much FACS then
>> I suggest you make your own capture beads using beads with a
>> background fluorescence comparable to your unstained cells

Simon Monard
FACS Facility Manager
MRC Centre for Regenerative Medicine
Institute for Stem Cell Research
University of Edinburgh
Roger Land Building
West Mains Road
Edinburgh
EH9 3JQ

Tel. Lab 0131 6505876
Tel Office 0131 6517265

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.